Relocation. THANKS--and my decision

Subject: Relocation. THANKS--and my decision
From: skwpt <skwpt -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:24:35 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you EVERYONE who responded (there were legion!).
Many of you wanted to know my final decision. I am
going to turn down the offer and stay in Boston. NC
has its pros (and it was nice to hear from people
living there), but in my list of pros and cons,
staying in NE won. Here's why.

1. I am a Yankee at heart; I just don't possess the
slow southern sensibilities many of you told me
are daily life "down there."
2. I don't want to have to drive more than a day to
see my aging parents. Right now it's only a little
over an hour drive away.
3. I don't want to be over 500 miles away when I
become an aunt for the first time.
4. I LOATHE, HATE, and DETEST hot and humid air.
5. I love snow and the distinct change in seasons.
6. It's pretty cool that I can live it up in the
city,
drive (or responsibly take the T) home to the
burbs, and take day trips to Portland (Maine),
Newport, Sturbridge Village, NYC or Bar Harbor and

Acadia National Park.
7. I have never lived more than an hour drive from
the
ocean (and usually I can bike or walk to the sea.)

Burlington, NC and region looks like a 3-hour
jaunt to catch some waves.
8. Even though the current NE job market is tough, I
think I'll have better chances of staying in my
niche (IT) up here than in NC.
9. I prefer to stay in a forward thinking area and
have heard that Burlington and surrounding
areas are rather conservative and don't open up
to non-natives (kinda like rural aine <g>).
10. I love the culture, arts, music, etc., that
are so close to me in Boston.
11. I am the daughter of an officer; we moved every
2-4 years while I was a "dependent." I have
moved 6 times myself in the last 12 years as an
adult. Now I want to settle down.
12. Yesterday, A manager in another department offered

me a position in order to "save" me from the
layoff; so now I can possibly stay in my current
role of documenting product and methodologies or
move to instructional design for clients (java,
xml, etc.)

Finally, I do apologize to any of you southerners who
might have thought I am against living in the south
based on some pre-conceived notion. I lived in
Virginia (not really the south) for four years and
traveled on business to Oregon many times. Both states
I found a little incompatible with my urgent,
impatient, direct nature. I was just a little worried
that I wasn't cut out for a more relaxed way of
living.

Regards,
Kelly

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/