There's something about...................Technical Writers

Subject: There's something about...................Technical Writers
From: "Sean O'Donoghue (EPA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:29:23 +1000

Hi Gang, {positive yet low key approach to win trust and interest}

I have observed something on this list that has been niggling at me, like
that feeling you get when you have just released the latest batch of
manuals/documentation and you are sure you left something out - or in......

{try and empathize with your audience, use analogies they might be able to
relate to - if they aren't to drugged out on full strength coffee and the
stress of tomorrow this has to be out....}

It is all the acronyms that are used on this list!!!!!!!!! {finally get to
the point!}

Now you know who you are - and I know that many of the acronyms are
bleeding obvious - but isn't that part of our skill - making the bleeding
obvious to us knowledge to everyone else???

{berate harshly, yet honestly}

IMHO is In My Honest Opinion (I hope!)

However someone used BOE, and I must admit it's got me perplexed?

{oh god, yes tell them...as you wrote that you had an idea of what it could
be, because you actually reflected and thought about it...}

...unless it means Beginning of Entry?

I guess TOC is safe - if you are a Word user, or have been exposed to Word.

{in some Southern States is it true it is unlawful to expose minors to
Word?}

Of course I am making an assumption there, that when TOC is used you mean
Table Of Contents and not Targeted Optional Capacity?

And we all know what happens to people who make assumptions, don't we! -
They need to get constantly re-edited, and very soon discover that they have
plenty of time to work on their resumes (one for every occasion!) in the
privacy and solitude of their own dwelling.

{if the bank hasn't repossessed it......}

So, y'all I was wondering: could we have a list of acronyms used, and what
they mean, so that those of us who want to save time by using them, and
those who don't use them - can know what they mean! IGWT

{wait you just used one...oh IGWT - "In God We Trust"....or was it: If
Gullible Word is Terrific!]

Catch you all on the flipside,
Sean

{have a light-hearted signature - or sig. - and avoid anything to deep or
esoteric, like:
"The coming of the Blue Llamas upon the pale jade lakes signifies the
rebirth of the new Empire - where Inca and Chinese will be as One over the
great cooking pot in which placed is the Turtle of the World."
h.c.cartwright
(Victorian explorer, translator of the Karma Cuta An exposition on the
cuteness of Pokemons, came second to Dr. Livingstone in a punt race on the
Thames, born 1797 died 1879 from, in his doctor's words, "extreme wind and
flatulence".) }