Re: A complete work of fiction

Subject: Re: A complete work of fiction
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 20:01:36 +0800

At 11:06 AM -0400 9/5/01, Roger Bell wrote:

Wally, that reminded me of an old cartoon that once appeared in the New
Yorker. As I recall, it showed a fellow handing a report to his boss and
saying something to the effect, "It is a complete work of fiction."

I once searched on the New Yorker cartoon database, but I couldn't find it.
If anyone has a digital copy, I would love to have it.

Heeheee! That's one of my favorites. I use the caption as a sig line occasionally, and I've been known to tape a copy to the cover of rush estimates prepared from inadequate information. It's taped on the wall above my monitor, old and yellow and crumbly. The cartoon shows two subordinate Suits presenting a report to a third, clearly Superior Suit. The caption is:

"These projected figures are a figment of our imagination.
We hope you like them."

To find it in at cartoonbank.com, search on Caption=figment and All Topics. (Contrary to my original assumption, it is not a business or management cartoon. The subordinate suits are economists and the Superior Suit is a politician.)
--
/K@ Kat Nagel katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
"It's not surprising the Israelis aren't too keen on the American peace

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: