Re: Technical Writing in an Extreme Programming Environment

Subject: Re: Technical Writing in an Extreme Programming Environment
From: John Cornellier <techwr-l -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:33:59 +0200

Laura spencer wrote:

> how (or if) Extreme Programming has changed the way you work.

We've been experimenting with XP and with pair programming. At the same time we are reviewing our processes to make developement for iterative (RUP).

My experience has been pretty much a textbook success. Some of the principles and practices I've applied are:

Pair Programming: for major revisions / new material I just sit down with the SME & we hash it out together.

Continuous Integration / Testing: comes from more smaller iterations (builds of the software)

Simplicity: if you have to get something on the baseline by the end of the day, then you tend to simplify your objectives.

IMO this method is more effective simply because it reflects the way people actually work, rather than the other way 'round. My experience with traditional methods of planning (rigorous specification/planning before coding/building) is that the end product rarely conforms to the spec anyway. A lot of resources are wasted trying to predict the future.

John Cornellier