Re: Stupid question yet I am unsure of the ethics here...

Subject: Re: Stupid question yet I am unsure of the ethics here...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:53:27 -0700

marianne -dot- patten -at- abnamro -dot- com wrote:

> Okay a friend of mine (who is not a tech writer and works in a completley
> different field than I do) asked me to send him a copy of a user manual I
> created so he could possibly show it to the tech writers he works with
> (he's trying to help me find a job).
>
> Is this ethical to do? I have no idea. Do I have to remove all screen
> shots and change the name of the application? technically, i wrote the
> manual, but clearly it belongs to the client. Can I use a document I have
> written as part of my work portfolio as it is now, or do I need to change
> names and facts of the material?

Always, the basic rule is: ask the company for whom you did the work if you can
use the manual as a sample. Responses will range all the way from a complete
refusal or permission with some restrictions to unrestricted permission. Some of
the restrictions you might encounter or negotiate:
- you can show the piece, but not leave it behind.
- you cannot show the piece at certain companies that are competitors.
- you must change or remove information in screen shots or examples.

Regardless of whether the companies wants this last condition, I always follow
this last condition if the manual contains addresses or social insurance numbers
or names of other companies unless I am absolutely certain that all such
information is invented. When in doubt, I change it.

If a company doesn't agree to you using the sample, in many cases you can get
agreement by suggesting restrictions yourself. However, if the company is
adamant, abide by its wishes. It, after all, owns the work, not you, and you
don't want to get a reputation for being dishonest, especially if you're
contracting, or think that you might someday.

"Art is a moral passion married to entertainment. Moral passion without
entertainment is propaganda, and entertainment without moral passion is
television."
- Rita Mae Brown