Re: Intranet Search tools

Subject: Re: Intranet Search tools
From: "Eric J. Ray (remote)" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:34:53 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Evan Martin wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying to track down an Intranet search tool. Our
> documentation here is getting more and more extensive and I'm hoping to save
> some time by having search capabilities rather than people coming to me
> trying to find specific docs on our Intranet.
>
> I did find a previous discussion in the archive, but it is 3 years old and I
> thought I'd see if there is anything new on the subject.
>
> Any suggestions? Keep in mind we are a fairly small company without the
> budget for a $30,000 solution. :- )

Someone suggested Atomz (www.atomz.com). They're good and efficient,
and seem to be generally effective, but can get pricy if you
have too many pages. We contract with Atomz for the site
search capabilities on the TECHWR-L site--if you use the
search field at the bottom of the pages, you're using Atomz.

That said, if you have a lot of pages, they'll be too expensive.
We're also using Mnogosearch (www.mnogosearch.com), which is a
C/MySQL/PHP application with two big advantages for us:
Open source and PHP/MySQL based. We're using it to index the
complete TECHWR-L archives, and it's worked pretty well.
We've had a few glitches (mostly through operator error),
and the results aren't quite as refined as I'd like, but it's
not bad at all. Additionally, we _can_ refine the search
settings and weighting for various document parts (weighting
document titles higher than body, for example), but haven't
had time to do so yet. At this time, the archive has
something like 130,000 pages in it, and they're all indexed.
I was surprised at the scalability, but have found that it's
as stable at that size as at smaller sizes. Search within
the archives (http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/)
to give it a try.

Yell with questions,
Eric