RE: Article: The e-book era is here (despite reports to the contr ary)

Subject: RE: Article: The e-book era is here (despite reports to the contr ary)
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:45:30 -0500

The problem with e-book is that it was hyped as giving us a resolution above
your average computer screen. It doesn't do that.

I've never copied a fiction book either. But, I have copied sections of
other books for my own use in cases where you are dealing with journal
articles and books that cannot be bought anywhere.

As far as techdocs, you can use ebooks. I'll stick to something that
provides functionality with my functional text.

As far as medical records go, you are better off printing them out on
Bluetooth enabled active paper, so you can scribble notes on them as you
read them. That stuff isn't on the market yet. It will be soon. But, my
CrossPad would work fine for this right now.

Until the resolution of an e-book gets well above 72-dpi, people are not
going to read the text being displayed there anymore than they read text on
a screen. We scan screens. We are supposed to read books. e-Books don't cut
it.

Beyond that, I am going to my grave as a non-adopter of pay-per-use books,
music, video, or software. I'll go down to Borders and buy them.

My cell phone ran out of batteries today, because I didn't stay up an extra
hour last night trying to run the battery down, so I could recharge it. I
don't have this problem with my books. The night the electricity goes out
e-whatever is useless.

David