Why not do it ourselves? (Was: using 3rd-party books)

Subject: Why not do it ourselves? (Was: using 3rd-party books)
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:11:23 +0200

This recent discussion about 3rd party books brings to mind an idea I have
been tossing around in my head a bit about user's guides, and i would be
really interested in what others have to say about it.

It's true that popular software products provide a manual with the product.
Some of these manuals are quite good and some are rather difficult to use.
With many popular products, the good manuals are often supplemented by 3rd
party manuals that are available on the market, and the bad manuals are
often practically redone. With the recent bombardment of
"fill-in-the-blank- for dummies" books (though most dummies I know don't
bother to read books about their area of interest!) it's made me wonder why
we don't write manuals in such a way that these books don't need to be
written?

For example, what would happen if we wrote both a basics (for new users)
manual, an intermediate-advanced use manual and included those with our
product in the first place? Third-party books are often infused with
"light-hearted" and quippy personality, including silliness and fun. What
would happen if we did this in ours?

I'm sure that there are MANY things that I'm not considering here and I
would love to hear your responses.

Jennifer