'97 PowerPoint problem and question?

Subject: '97 PowerPoint problem and question?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:33:17 -0400

reports: <<I recently created a 31 slide '97 PowerPoint
presentation from a template for a medical presentation including text and
photos. I was first asked to set it up to be shown through a laptop with
handouts. No problem. It looked fine with fadeouts etc. After meeting with
my boss, I was informed that it would now be presented on an overhead
projector. My first printouts look awful. Do I have to create the project
all over again without the templates?>>

The easiest solution is to create a new template that's better suited to
printing the presentation onto acetate; for example, pick colors that will
display better, and consider reformatting the screen size to correspond to
the dimensions of the acetate you're using rather than the dimensions of a
computer monitor. Once you've done that, you can simply open the Format menu
and select "Apply design"; choose the new template, and your work is 90%
complete. The last thing to do is preview each of the slides in the Slide
view (not in outline view) to make sure that all the text has been
reformatted and repositioned properly. In particular, watch for text such as
callouts and labels that aren't defined in the template; these often won't
reformat and must be fixed manually. Where applying the new template doesn't
update the slide (which happens occasionally), either adjust the slide
manually or (where the corrections are simple) right-click on the background
of the slide, and select Slide Layout from the popup menu. Choose the
correct layout and _reapply_ it to the current slide. Voila!

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot; others transform a
yellow spot into the sun."- -Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)