RE: Picking a new software skill

Subject: RE: Picking a new software skill
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:23:49 -0400

I have to disagree here. If you have it, learn it. Otherwise it's no more
useful than that second toaster oven Aunt Edna gave you at last year's
family reunion. And though most writers might not do more than
printscreen-crop-and-plop, do you want to crop-and-plop yourself into that
lump of writers? Why? Instead, learn the tool. Learn how to do amazing
things. Why? Well, chances are that moving forward you won't be a "tech
writer's tech writer" (whatever the hell that means). A lot of writers I am
in frequent contact with are expanding their roles into web authoring, not
so much programming (though that's happening too).

So yes, learning Java or another programming language can be useful,
provided that's the industry you're into. But no matter the industry, web
delivery is becoming more and more popular, and knowing how to make better
web images (not just by masking and funky effects, but by properly reducing
colors and indexing palettes to the proper formats using PhotoShop and
ImageReady) will push your work to the next level.

I'm not advocating Photoshop over other things to learn, but given that you
already have it, have tutorials, and have the time, why the hell not? Sure,
learn other things too, but why push learning something aside just because
most people don't use it properly anyway? That's just stupid.

*****************
BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N
1881 Worcester Road
Framingham, Mass. 01701
T E L * 508-879-8400 x316
F A X * 508-879-8500
www.courion.com
THIS EMAIL CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
MEANT FOR THE INTENDED RECIPIENT ONLY. PLEASE
DELETE THIS IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED IT IN ERROR.