Re: How many worthless stock options do yo

Subject: Re: How many worthless stock options do yo
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 21:15:59 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Personally, I vastly prefer the old style companies in which options are
> given simply as a minor benefit with no forced talk of "empowerment" and
> phony benevolence - the approach is at least honest.

A good manager will instill an attitude in the workforce that all work
for the company. Without the company there can be no paycheck. If the
company does poorly, pay will suffer. OTOH, an honest one will share the
good with the workforce. Admittedly, this attitude is easier to instill
in a smaller company, than the larger one. I am currently working with a
fairly highly successful company where the owner eschews any titles,
just for that reason. He listens to the workers, yet all know that he
makes the ultimate decision. During the last recession another company
had a meeting in which the entire workforce of about 50 were told that
the company was in trouble. If they all, including the owner, took a
reduction in pay there would be enough capital to pull the company
through the crisis. If sales reached a certain level the cut would be
restored. A schedules of increases in pay keyed to levels of sales was
established. The workforce went along with the deal, the company pulled
through and salaries were paid in accordance with the agreement. +
profit sharing bonuses were paid, although they had not been promised.
The workers confidence in the ability and integrity of the owner was
justified. Yes, I know that often it isn't, but my point is that it can
be done, if all are operating in good faith. I think that most smart
business people recognize and appreciate the value of an inplace
workforce.

--
Peter
Mailto:peternew -at- optonline -dot- net

Adapting old programs to fit new machines
usually means adapting new machines to
behave like old ones.