RE: Fighting a losing battle?

Subject: RE: Fighting a losing battle?
From: "Wen the Lew" <wlewis -at- nclogic -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:46:10 -0400

I had a bit of a battle with this when I started
at my present job, but did as suggested by many on
this list, I doc'ed the silly way you had to use
the software, then immediately gave the section to
the engineer to proof. They usually saw how
ridiculous the instructions were and changed the
software.

It really helps that our boss is very good as a
coder and very logical. He knows exactly how much
effort it would take to change something and
whether or not it was important. If I ran into a
stubborn coder, I asked the boss to review the
section. That usually did it.

Since then they (all) have trained me to use the
coding software and given me access to the source
code. I now make my own damn changes. I'm very
careful of changes I make to the senior coders
GUIs, and very liberal on changes to the bad
coders code, which also delights the senior
coders. ;-) I love going into bad GUIs and
commenting out large sections of stupid code and
placing my initials beside them.

Most of the coders now come to me before
solidifying a GUI design, and ask for the GUI
Queen blessing. If they don't, they expect to be
edited before release.

Wendy Lewis

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/