the "word" dealing, not to mention cope

Subject: the "word" dealing, not to mention cope
From: Ellen Vanrenen <ellen -dot- vanrenen -at- clear-technology -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 14:58:09 -0600

Hi, again

I just read this in the first point of the Preface to The Gregg Reference
Manual:

Yet the formats provided by these templates may, for a variety of reasons,
not be suitable for your purposes. To help you cope with this situation,
Section 13 (dealing with letters and memos) and Section 14 (dealing with
reports)....(vii)

While watching various disaster and possible war coverages one night, my
husband and I amused ourselves by naming words replaced by the "word"
dealing. Often we could think of several words that the speaker could have
used for an (obviously) more precise meaning. No one will have a vocabulary
at this rate. Same with the "verb" impact.

You have probably discussed this, but can there be any use for the "word"
dealing, except when referring to a card game of some sort?

By the way, I also hate reading dependent clauses that are not followed by a
comma.

Ellen Vanrenen
Technical Writer
Clear Technology, Inc.
303-583-4170 (direct line)
ellen -dot- vanrenen -at- clear-technology -dot- com

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/