RE: Re[x+1]: Fuzzy images - Vent

Subject: RE: Re[x+1]: Fuzzy images - Vent
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:06:25 -0400

As far as I can tell, Christine and John are on the same page.

This really has nothing to do with the defaults. It has to do with Acrobat
Reader only clearly mapping images with a resolution that is a multiple of
72ppi. Additionally, it has to do with the nature of screen captures, that
screen captures are rasters, that screen captures are really not resizable,
that screen captures are not dynamic like the dialog boxes of which they are
pictures, and that Adobe Acrobat itself is a viewer, not a full-fledged word
processing or desktop publishing package, and the limitations of screen
resolutions setup.

It's like this, if the image was "this big" (imagine my fingers drawing a
rectangle) when you created/captured it, and you resampled the resolution to
fit it into a layout design "this big" (imagine my fingers drawing a smaller
rectangle), and then it is displayed in a window on a desktop "this big"
(imagine my fingers drawing an even smaller rectangle to reflect the size of
the Acrobat Reader Application and zoom on a host PC), then the image is not
going to look unaltered. If you digitize an image of the Mona Lisa and then
render it to a PDA, how good could that possibly look. That thought is an
exaggeration of what I speak.

Nevertheless, by designing the document up-front to consider the end result
and deliverable, you can accommodate these things and you can also produce
crisp images. But, in any event, John's point is well-taken. Most people for
most documents and most audiences can do quite nicely with PDF.

Cheers,

Sean<Br>
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/