Tech-writing in SDLC - books?

Subject: Tech-writing in SDLC - books?
From: "Neil, John" <NEILJ -at- Firstline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 08:46:38 -0400

Can anybody recommend any books that would help me in this situation?
I am a recent graduate of a good technical writing program (Seneca College,
Toronto) and have been hired on contract by a division of a major Canadian
bank. This contract position becomes a permanent position IF I can establish
the role of the technical writer in the division. They are in the process of
rolling out their Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) process for
Capability Maturity Model (CMM) Level 2. My role is to create the templates
as well as the role of the tech writer in the SDLC. (It should be noted here
that this organization (approx. 30-35 developers) is already well organized
and managed - to a higher degree than most that would consider themselves
CMM level 2 or 3 already - with the exception of documentation.)
What I am looking for is a publication (or several) that can help me
establish the role in the department. I own and have read (repeatedly) JoAnn
Hackos' "Managing Your Documentation Projects" and have taken some material
from this. However, I am looking for something that I can use to help tie my
role and documentation in with the SDLC process, and a publication that
focuses more on technical, as opposed to user, documentation.
Can anyone here recommend good books for this purpose?
If you respond off list, I will compile a list of recommended publications
for a future posting.
Thank you in advance

John Neil
Technical Writer - CMI IT
416-865-0411 x6944
neilj -at- firstline -dot- com

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe.
Attend the entire event, select a single day, or sign up for
a Saturday postconference workshop. http://ieeepcs.org/2001