Cross-References in Word

Subject: Cross-References in Word
From: "Nealon, Jessica" <Jessica -dot- Nealon -at- McKesson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:46:52 -0400

I have a feeling that many of you have your own special trick to this one.
In my Word (2000) manual, I decided to put a lot of cross-references to
increase its usability in PDF form. Rumor has it that cross-references turn
into links in the PDF.

The problem is that my beautiful cross-references turn into "Error!
Reference source not found. on page Error! Bookmark not defined." in big,
bold, underlined text. This seems to happen at will. Somebody here thinks
that is has to do with the source of the reference shifting pages as edits
are made and the size of the document changes. However, we really can't
seem to find a pattern. Has anyone figured this out? Has anyone solved
this problem?

Unfortunately, I have taken all the cross-references out and replaced them
with static text. I know this makes my docs less advanced, but it's better
than those HUGE error messages that I inevitably miss in an edit because
they seem to change with the wind.

Regards,

Jessica Nealon
Technical Writer