RE: Creating a Documentation Kit (Long Response)

Subject: RE: Creating a Documentation Kit (Long Response)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:28:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- Steve Hudson <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au> wrote:
> I disagree slightly with you there John. Providing the help as
> hidden text is
>
> 1) extra baggage to be opened each time with the template.
>
> 2) extra baggage in new documents based on the template.
>
> I prefer the hyperlink from the Help > About this template to the
> User Guide.

You mean place the user Guide online? This goes on the assumption
that you are online when you need to access the guide and that if the
guide is on the company intranet, that you can access it easily from
the otherside of the firewall. I can think of several instances in
recent past where both of these factors would have been an obstacle.

As far as baggage, not really. I've created several templayes
recently where I has a couple of pages of comment for each of 5
sections of the document. It didn't seem to be an issue.
Besides...when you "publish" the document, you could delete the comments.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

http://personals.yahoo.com