RE: Most Impt. Skill to Learn in Tech Comm Program?

Subject: RE: Most Impt. Skill to Learn in Tech Comm Program?
From: "Nealon, Jessica" <Jessica -dot- Nealon -at- McKesson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:58:42 -0400

Bryan,

You hit the nail "write" on the head. Now, this is a whole other
discussion, but it's interesting to me how different TC classes are from
traditional English classes. The main difference is the attitude of the
students. At least at the Graduate level, almost all of us have had it with
learning for its own sake. We all did that as undergrads. We've all faced
the "what are you gonna do with that? teach?" question more times than we
can stand. Yes, we are better people for studying the Humanities, but now
we need vocational training.

It's interesting to see traditional English departments grapple with this
new brand of "unbelievers," if you will. I don't envy the teachers who have
to deal with us. It's a complete 180 from what they know. TC students are
always the ones asking "Why do I need to know that?" I don't think English
professors are used to being grilled like that.

Jessica Nealon

Bryan Westerbrook wrote:

>But which are employers looking for, especially in these tight economic
times?