RE: Layoff logistics and etiquette

Subject: RE: Layoff logistics and etiquette
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:53:06 -0500

>>> Gwyneth Runnings <gwyneth -at- look -dot- ca> 10/22/01 04:39PM >>>

<< I was trying to determine which of these rights is no longer applicable under this so-called "at-will" legislation. ie right to
fire without notice, right to quit without notice, etc, any other changes that might be applicable to us ordinary working stiffs. >>

In "at-will" states, I believe your employer has no obligation to give either notice or cause, but I could be wrong about one of them (you'd think I'd be more sure about that, since I live in an at-will state, but since I work for the government, everything is a little different). And I have never heard of anyone being required to give notice before resigning, so I assume it's also not an obligation. Is this why people refer to being an employee as being "captive?" I always thought it was an odd thing to say, since I can pick up and leave as easily as any contractor can. Is that not true everywhere?

<< I am a little concerned with this tone that as a worker it is understandable that you don't have any/many/what rights. >>

Whether or it's "understandable," it is the law. Recognizing that it is legal doesn't necessarily mean I consider it a good thing. It's the golden rule, you know... he who has the gold makes the rules.

<< Also I have heard mentioned recently a term "free-work" state. As in Texas. >>

I wonder if this refers to unions... Oklahoma recently passed a "right to work" law which may be similar.

~~~~~
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc