RE: Layoff logistics and etiquette

Subject: RE: Layoff logistics and etiquette
From: "Roy Jacobsen" <rjacobse -at- microsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:04:57 -0500

The deal is this: it's the state law. (North Dakota is another one of
those states.) I think the employers ask for the signed agreement to
ensure that nobody thinks they're "entitled" to any kind of permanence
in the employment.

And even in those cases when they say you have to give them 2 weeks
notice, IMO and IANAL, I think they're just asking you for the courtesy
of the notice, and not that you're _required by law_ to give it.

Roy M. Jacobsen
Senior Editor, Documentation
Microsoft Great Plains Business Solutions
One Lonetree Road
Fargo, ND 58104-3911
USA
rjacobse -at- microsoft -dot- com