MS Word, bookmark fields, and crazy numbers...

Subject: MS Word, bookmark fields, and crazy numbers...
From: technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 9:57:54

Thanks to everyone who had helpful advise on resizing my document...now I'm
working on another MS Weird issue.

TPTB felt that our user docs should start with a section of procedures for
the task that we know our users will be doing most often--fair enough. I
thought I'd be a clever monkey and, while maintaining the more-traditional
information flow of the rest of my doc, insert the oft-used procedures by
using a bookmark. That way the information would be in two places but only
have to be updated in one--clever monkey me.

Well the bookmarks worked a charm, inserting all the text just where I
wanted it, but the numbering in the original section has now become
continuous list, continuing from the end number of the inserted section,
and it won't let me restart the numbering--silly monkey me.

I did some research and discovered that I should reformat my simple number
lists as outline lists, so now I can fix that first wonky number along with
the rest of the crazy numbers--hopeful monkey me. But every time I update
the inserted bookmark fields, the numbering in the original section goes
continuous again--sad monkey me.

Any suggestion to make me a happy monkey?

Word--it's making a monkey outta me,
Mandy