RE: MS Word, bookmark fields, and crazy numbers...

Subject: RE: MS Word, bookmark fields, and crazy numbers...
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:42:27 +1000

Yuck. With the caveat that this may cause list silliness you could try this:

define a BloodyHeck style
attach it to the same listtemplate as the list you are x-reffing to (use VBA
so you don't change the listtemplates referenced target of your style)
Use the BloodyHeck style to mark your x-ref para in (not the x-reffed
paras).
Restart the numbering of bloodyheck, if worst comes to worst use

Sub RestartListNumbering()
On Error Resume Next
With Selection
.Collapse
With .Range.ListFormat
.ApplyListTemplate .ListTemplate, False
End With
End With
End Sub

Now - the other solution sees the FIRST level of the outline list NOT having
bullets or numbers, looking like normal body text. That way the para of
'body text' preceding the start of the list is actually the restart para for
the list. Tricky eh. You number using the SECOND level of the list, and
apply the first level to the para immediately prior. This 'reset' para can
either be included in the bookmark range, or be used as the style for the
para immediately preceding your x-ref para.

Steve Hudson
Principal Technical Writer
Wright Technologies (Aus)
steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au
(612) 9518-1822
The best way to predict the future... is to create it!