RE: Reading and Editing--thinking in pictures

Subject: RE: Reading and Editing--thinking in pictures
From: "SM Rush" <sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:13:08 -0700

Geneve--

Thanks for that book reference and the excerpts. I was amazed to read the
passage about having to create language before creating tools. I can't even
imagine being held back by not knowing what to call a pointy thing that fits
into that hole in the ground. Now collaborating with others on inventing,
that's another story.

This is quite relevant to tech writing and modern day inventing. The
programmers I work with are constantly creating new concepts, new functions,
without thinking about names or explanations. One of my biggest jobs is to
develop the language that goes with what they've created, and to develop a
consistency in naming.

Sometimes, however, (and I wish I could think of a good example) there are
problems with the concept that don't become clear until I try to describe
them. I think this has to do with parallels. Sometimes a function or a
concept is in some way related (or meant to be related) to another concept
or function. It is only when I articulate how it works that we see it isn't
a good parallel or doesn't really do what we'd thought. Usually the clue is
in the verbs.

sella rush
applied technical systems
silverdale, wa