RE: Word misbehaving

Subject: RE: Word misbehaving
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:58:25 +1000

There are a few problems here Kristin - lets deal with them one by one:

1) If you have consistant h&f's across the doc, avoid Section Breaks. If you
are only using Next Page, then just use a page break or set the paragraph to
start on a new page with:

Sub NewPageHere()
With Selection.ParagraphFormat
.PageBreakBefore = Not (.PageBreakBefore)
End With
End Sub

2) They changed because you have not set page setup > layout > section start
to new page.

3) The easy way to get an existing section break to change type is to insert
the correct type after it and then delete the break you just inserted.

4) By this stage the doc is bound to have unhealthy levels of corruption. My
advice would be to

a) Kill all section breaks - use find and replace

b) Cuttenpaste allbutthelastparamark to a new document.

c) Whack in your page breaks.

5) Headers and footers. Each section has its own. Usually - to maintain
conformity - we "Link to Previous" on each one. Destroying/rebuilding
section breaks can alter this setting. Then it depends on:

a) Current section's page layout settings (odd/even, 1st page)

b) Current documents 'default' H&F's.

c) Current or following section's defined H&F's.

In other words - this 'confusing' result is actually quite normal when you
orphan a section.

Steve Hudson
Principal Technical Writer
HDK List MVP
Wright Technologies (Aus)
steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au
The best way to predict the future... is to create it!