RE: Screenshot Parameters, using SnagIt

Subject: RE: Screenshot Parameters, using SnagIt
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -dot- Brierley -at- Jenzabar -dot- Net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:26:47 -0500

Hi Cerdric:

EPS for CMYK output (bear in mind, you are starting with an RGB image).
Otherwise, who cares. Try PNG, I find it supports 24-bit color, which opens
up a bunch of image-editing options, and it compresses smaller than TIFF and
BMP.

> - online documentation?

Anything but JPEG. Bear in mind, GIF only supports 8-bit color--but that's
all I use anyway because 24-bit color adds size that is typically not
needed.

> Can anyone give me advice for setting SnagIt parameters for my
> screenshots?
> My problem is:
> - For getting some graphics really clean, I need to set the resolution to
> 300dpi.

I doubt 300dpi is necessary. Most monitors display about 100ppi resolution
and most printers have a linescreen around 150lpi. 300dpi might be necessary
for some high-end imagesetters, if that's where you are going.

> - But when I use this resolution for small screenshots, they are too tiny
> be used in my final document.
> - If I do not use the same resolutions for all my graphics, their printed
> outputs have quite different qualities.

At 100% zoom, only 72ppi images display crisply in PDF, at 200% zoom, only
144ppi images display crisply in PDF. Is this a concern? Otherwise, use a
resolution that is evenly divisible into the output of your printing device,
I use 120ppi and 150ppi for a 600dpi laser printer.

> What do I have to do to get all my graphics having the same output
> quality,
> and being also good for both printed and online documentation?

You cannot control the display resolution of your cusomers' video devices. I
recommend you shoot for making sure the printed stuff is okay and not sweat
the details for on-screen display. If you are down around 100dpi, screen
display should be legible and crisp enough. As you say, 300ppi is too small.

> Thanking you in advance.

I set SnagIT to resample my color to 8-bit optimized and my resolution to
120ppi at the time of capture.

HTH,

Sean