RE: Screenshot Parameters

Subject: RE: Screenshot Parameters
From: Paul Newbold <paul -dot- newbold -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:27:27 -0000

I do single sourcing from Frame/WWP and outout to PDF for B/W print and HTML
for web. I've been wrestling with the best formats for our mixture of
photorealistic images (we do CAD rendering software) and windows dialog
screen grabs. So I ran a few tests and the only really bad images were
photorealistic saved as GIF or 256 colour PNG, and essentially the choice
for the rest came down to image size (the smaller the better for the
web/HTMLHelp outputted versions

nb: sizes in kb, resolution set at 112 dpi, and I used Paintshop Pro

Photo Quality Win Dialog Quality Mixed photo/dialogue
Quality
PNG 256 col 13 poor 6 good 14
acceptable
PNG 16 mill col 77 v v good 28 good 73
v good
JPG 75% compress 11 v good 19 good 26
good
GIF 256 41 poor 29 good 43
acceptable

Obviously the quality judgements are a little subjective but all the same my
defaults (for speed and expediancy as much as absolute max image quality)
are now jpeg for photos and PNG 256 for grabbed windows dialogs. I'd be
interested to know what other peoples set their defaults to.

Cheers
Paul Newbold
LightWork Design
Sheffield, UK.