RE: Technical Writing Union

Subject: RE: Technical Writing Union
From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- best -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:10:57 -0800

When I was a contractor negotiating my own deals with companies, I joined the union for several reasons. They have a job hot line that takes a smaller percentage than any of the larger companies that provide TWs to clients. I also joined for additional benefits such as medical insurance. Without being part of a group, I would be unable to obtain medical insurance. That is an important benefit to me.

Sue Ellen Adkins

At 1:04 PM -0500 10/31/01, Ehr, Meg wrote:

Diane Evans mentioned some of the good things that the labor movement has
brought to all of us over the years, then mentioned:

I do belong to a union...www.washtech.org.

To Diane, and any others who belong to TW unions, what benefits does your
union bring to you? I certainly agree that unions as a whole have done many
good things over the years (as well as many not-so-good things), but what
can/does your specific union do for you as a tech writer, particularly if
you're an FTE rather than a contractor?

Not arguing pro/con unions in general or TW unions specifically -- just
truly curious.

Thanks,
Meg Ehr

New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit http://ieeepcs.org/2001