Re: More Unions

Subject: Re: More Unions
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:14:27 -0700

Perhaps a reason that many techwriters are uncomfortable with unionization
is they are employed by small companies and must wear numerous hats --
webwork one day, RoboHelp the next, screen design meetings next week
followed by a period of QA. Come crunch time, they're printing, collating,
and binding proposals or deliverables. They also have a personal stake in
the company - even in this era a lot of us are involved in profit sharing
programs (such as they are...) Some weeks we're cruising, then comes crunch
time and everyone's in overdrive. I'm not sure how a union shop would
benefit such an organization.

I've never been a TechWriter in a large corporation, maybe it's different
there. Maybe Tech writers NEVER QA, or work on the intranet or edit. Maybe
there's much less of a sense of personal stake in what we do, or what the
company does. You have your job description, you don't vary from it. (Of
course, since I've never been in such a situation I might be wrong about
large employers.)

Paul S.
Windsor Technologies
Lafayette, CO

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp