RE: Help without manuals

Subject: RE: Help without manuals
From: "Yigal Rahamim" <yigal -at- tds -dot- co -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:46:30 +0200

Darren,

Thanks for pointing us to your interesting article.

As far as I understand the method you present allows you to convert a given
source in RoboHelp into printed documentation. However, the term
single-sourcing means that you maintain a single-source to create multiple
outputs. I assume that if there are changes in your Help file you will have
to repeat the entire process for each change or, simply make the changes
twice on each medium separately.

While researching single-sourcing I found two major approaches:

The "real" single-sourcing is a database driven solution which is mostly
based on XML. This approach does not allow "tweaking" of the output
deliverables (manual, help).

The other approach is very common I choose to call it "discount"
single-sourcing. This approach uses a combination of common authoring tools
like Word, RoboHelp, FrameMaker, ForeHelp, and WebWorks Publisher. While
thinking single-source you have first to define what information goes where.
Most methods I found start from the print version. Using FrameMaker features
like conditional text and variables you can define which information goes
where. For example you can define a condition called "HelpOnly" or
"PrintOnly". These conditions are maintained while importing into ForeHelp
and WebWorks publisher to create help files.
The new RoboHelp 2002 includes also an import feature of FrameMaker files
but, I am not sure the conditions are maintained and can be manipulated as
in ForeHelp and WebWorks. This method saved my clients time and money. You
can read the testimonials in our site www.tds.co.il/training4.htm#FH

Theoretically if there is a change in the content you type it only once in
FrameMaker, but in reality the FM file that are imported need some tweaking
so that's why I call it "discount" single-sourcing.

BTW conditional text can be also done in Word. If you know Word Macro
language and API you can do it with Word too and import the text to
RoboHelp.

If you plan to generate single source documentation and want both a manual
and online Help it would be better to move from print to online. Print
content should include more than online help.

I would be happy to read your comments.

Regards,

Yigal

Yigal Rahamim
Documentation Consultant
Certified ForeHelp Trainer
TDS - Training & Documentation Solutions Ltd.
31 Lehi St, Bnei-Brak 51200 Israel
Tel: +972-3-5782818 Fax: +972-3-5782820
email: mailto:yigal -at- tds -dot- co -dot- il
Visit Our Web Site: http://www.tds.co.il/