RE: Embedded help with WebWorks

Subject: RE: Embedded help with WebWorks
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:03:32 -0800

McCarter, Kim wrote:

| At my company, I am the tech writer responsible for making the
| first foray into
| embedded help. I've been given WebWorks Publisher Professional
| 7.0 as my tool
| (in conjunction with Frame and Chrystal Canterbury).
|
| WebWorks can create help in many different formats, but my
| choices have been
| narrowed to XML+CSS, XML+XSL, and WebWorks Help. The help will
| be embedded in
| applications written in Java. Does anyone have any insight as to
| which is the
| best option?

I don't think any of these is the best option. If you want to create
embedded Help for an application written in Java, I would strongly suggest
that you consider using JavaHelp since it is explicitly designed for that
purpose. WebWorks Help is an excellent format for browser-based user
assistance, but I do not think it would be an effective choice for embedded
Help in a Java application. I wouldn't even consider XML+CSS and, if you use
XML+XSL, your application developers will have a lot of heavy lifting to do
in order to implement the embedded Help.

HTH,

David Knopf (mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com)
Knopf Online (http://www.knopf.com)
Tel: 415.550.8367

RoboHelp MVP & Certified RoboHelp Instructor
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Member, Sun's JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Member, eHelp's RoboHelp Community Advisory Board
Co-moderator, HATT & wwp-users

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr