Re: Informal Poll - how many technical books do you buy?

Subject: Re: Informal Poll - how many technical books do you buy?
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 10:34:25 -0500

Hello,

Lois asked several questions:

"1. If you have a staff position, do you have a budget for books you can
purchase? How much is it?"

Yes, our team does have a budget for resources, but I'm not sure of the amount. I purchased the MS Manual of Style for my group and was reimbursed for it, although the book became company property.

"2. What topics do you like to purchase technical books about?"

Personally, software and technology that I want to learn about, project management, graphic formats, etc. Also, topics that are pertinent to issues we TWs face, such as online documentation and the technology behind it.

"3. Do you find it unnecessary to purchase technical books with so much information available online?"

Not even an issue for me. I tend to prefer books, or to print out online documentation that I want to retain.

"4. How much do you spend personally on technical books per year?"

Personally, probably between $100 and $200 per year, maybe more depending on circumstances (budget, availability, interest, etc.). I am an information-phile so I am always seeking out new resources.

BTW, for those TWs in the U.S., do you save your receipts for books purchased for professional purposes and claim the expenses on your taxes? (Someone told me about this last year so I am curious.)

Have a great day!
Laura (now, diving into a Sys Admin Guide--later!)

--
Laura MacLemale
Technical Writer

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this message represent those of the sender and not of Paychex, Inc.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr