Creating a Search tool question

Subject: Creating a Search tool question
From: Joe Campo <jcampo -at- solidworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:05:50 -0500

Background:
I have created an online help system using HTML and JavaScript. Although I
used RoboHELP HTML to create the topics, there is no .chm file.
The developers wanted to keep the file size as low as possible. That is why
we decided not to use compiled help or web help - too much required overhead
in supporting files.

Issue:
I constructed a home grown Index, just a pure HTML file, alphabetizing
everything myself. I linked the keywords to the appropriate topics. However
there is no search capability to go through the Index and find a word. The
user must scroll and check if such an index entry exists.

There is also no search tool to search for words in the HTML topics.

Questions:
1. Is there a way, perhaps using JavaScript, to create a search tool that
could search through my Index HTML file and display the appropriate keyword,
if found?
2. Is there any way to create a search tool to search for text through
multiple HTML files? This is the big lack in a home grown pure html help
project. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Joseph Campo
Technical Writer
Documentation Department
SolidWorks Corporation
300 Baker Avenue
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
(978) 371 - 5164
jcampo -at- solidworks -dot- com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr