HTML Help - links to secondary windows within topics

Subject: HTML Help - links to secondary windows within topics
From: Martin Waxman <martin -at- waxman -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 21:08:14 -0500

Guy McDonald wrote:
> Microsoft HTML Help does not support links to secondary windows from within
>topics. Does anyone know a creative work-around such as a macro or something
>similar to overcome this limitation?

Perhaps I'm off track, but you could simply hand code the following javascript into the primary window HTML header.
Keep the function all on one line.
Give the secondary window a name different from the primary so it won't replace the primary.
Set the screenX, screenY for Netscape, and left, top for IE (they'll each ignore the other's coding) and set the height and width of the secondary.

The secondary should display on top of the primary, offset by the X,Y,left,top coordinates.

If the secondary doesn't appear on top. I'll send code for the body tag to fix that
.
.
.
<script>
function open_window(url) {
newWin = window.open(url,"win2",'toolbar=0,screenX=500,screenY=275,left=500,top=275,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=0,width=500,height=350');}
</script>
.
.
</head>

.
.

Marty Waxman

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr