Re: Tech Writing Curriculum

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Curriculum
From: "Steve Arrants" <stephena -at- compbear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:35:56 -0800

"Mary Anne Donovan-Wright" <maryann5 -at- frontiernet -dot- net> asks:
> Might I query some of you for suggestions on what six courses/topics you
> would recommend we include in this certificate? (We have decided to make
> this a six-course program.) We have some ideas, but it would be helpful to
> get advice from the pros.

I would go easy on the tools concentration. I don't think you need to make
the students familiar with every
piece of software out there. Perhaps a compare/contrast of tools within a
group-- (Photoshop vs. PSP, or
FRAME vs. WORD) -- but not make it a religious war over different packages.
I sometimes forget that while I started out using a typewriter, most (all?)
of the people learning to become
tech writers have probably used Word Processors, graphics apps, and the like
since they were in high school.

They don't need to learn the intricacies of a particular product -- just the
broad overview type knowledge. I mean,
if you know how to use Word, moving to Frame isn't too terribly difficult.
You press keys, words appear. The
complicated stuff about a product can be learned later.

steve arrants
http://www.compbear.com Certified Cruelty Free
"The dream was marvelous, but the terror was great.
We must treasure the dream, whatever the terror."
---Gilgamesh