RE: Tech Writing Curriculum

Subject: RE: Tech Writing Curriculum
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- vt -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:46:18 -0500

At 02:43 PM 11/12/2001, John Gilger wrote:

Why not teach open source tools? A great deal of their development has
been, and continues to be done, in the CS labs at most universities.
This would add several benefits to the education of an aspiring tech
writer.

Actually, John, that's another option we're pursuing (in more spare time!), and it's the option our computer lab manager keeps urging. He's been great at sniffing out free/shareware comparables for some of the bigger tools, and as soon as several of us have time (that's why they invented Christmas vacation, right? Celebrate the holiday gathered round the glowing light of the monitor, listening to the whir of the CD drive . . .), we're going to look through them for viable choices.

If you (any of you, actually) have any other particular open-source, freeware, or shareware alternatives we could use to give students core skills, I'd love to hear about them.

Marie

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr