Re: Tech Writing Curriculum

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Curriculum
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:29:00 -0800

bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:

What about medical schools?

What about them? Medicine, like engineering, belongs at university because it is based on pure research, and, even when applied, can add to the general sum of knowledge. Although many people enter these fields solely as a career move doesn't change that.

By contrast, tech-writing has some basis in pure research, but this fact is almost overwhelmed by practicality and the need to respond to the market. Nor are most tech-writers familiar with the research. Even fewer conduct independent research, or even feel obliged to keep up to date on the latest studies.

Obviously, I have no great problem with these facts, or I wouldn't be on this list. Not would I be earning half to two-thirds of my income from technical writing. I'm also aware that some people are working very hard to change the profession to make it academically respectable, although I have mixed feelings about their goals or their success; too often, their studies seem poorly designed, inconclusive, and/or based on outdated research in other fields.

However, to put tech-writing in its current state on a par with academic subjects does seem a rather inflated claim. So long as literature courses that are unavailable anywhere else go begging for funding, I don't think that tech-writing should be entering English departments.

"In the shadow of the cottonwood grass don't grow
And it's well you know the reason why
As we stepped out together at the county faire
To dance away the cool from a cool Spring night."
-James Keelaghan, "County Faire"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr