Re: Tech Writing Curriculum

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Curriculum
From: Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:40:34 EST

>Require every student to assemble a PC, install the OS [snip]

I think that students should have to write real-world, portfolio-ready documents for a variety of things. Set up the PC, write the software manual, document the medical procedure, draft the website (with Section 508 compliance), outline the "for dummies" guide, and any of a dozen other possible fields.

THEN switch the documents around to others in the class for usability testing. Because in the end, *that's* the acid test for our kind of writing.

Oh, and I agree about the rhetoric and logic courses. It blows my mind that I wasn't drilled on this stuff until grad school - IMO, this should be required starting in grade school! If nothing else, it would at least save us from the scourge of Internet correspondents who think "u r wrong. u suck. shut up." is a scathing, unanswerable defense.

Nea