Re: Tech Writing Curriculum

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Curriculum
From: Iggy <iggy_1996dp -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:09:44 -0800 (PST)

I pretty much agree with Mr. Flaming Retard. ;) Hey,
he invented the title, not me.

Teaching tools is stupid as students will focus more
on learning what does what rather than the theory and
application of this knowledge toward getting shtuff
done. Seen it time and time again.

Rather, incorporate USING (not LEARNING) various tools
in the theory and practice classes. Get them
acquainted with the various types of software
available, but don't teach them the ins and outs. Why?

Tools ain't forever, folks. What was nifty 5 years ago
is old hat now. Tastes change. Products change. New
technologies arise and old ones change/fall.

Teach them to think. Teach them to be flexible. But
don't teach them how to produce 4 color glossy output
from FrameMaker and Photoshop.

There is definitely a noticable difference between
colleges that teach techie courses and colleges that
produce technologically-able individuals. And as far
as skills go, I'd much rather hire a capable,
technologically minded writer than a FrameMaker
monkey. And yes, I'm a FrameMaker user.

http://personals.yahoo.com