RE: curriculum

Subject: RE: curriculum
From: "Neil, John" <NEILJ -at- Firstline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:20:52 -0500

I have a couple of points to raise or counteract based on the curriculum
discussions:
I am a recent graduate of the Seneca College 1 year Post-Diploma Co-op
Technical Communications program in Toronto, Canada.
By far the most valuable term in the program was the 4 month co-op
placement. Not that the classes were weak - there is nothing to beat
real-life experience.
Somebody suggested reading a $30 book instead of taking a $3000 course. That
is ridiculous. There is far more to this profession than any book, or series
of books can cover.
I know a friend who took the technical writing course at University of
Toronto. No 'tools' were discussed or used in the program. He is still
looking for work. I was talking with current students enrolled in the course
that I took. most of their questions had to do with 'tools.' I told them to
change their focus. It is important to know some tools but that is a small
part. You won't get an interview if you do not mention in your resume that
you can use FrameMaker, RoboHelp, a graphics tool etc.
However, once you have that job (likely a short term contract or very junior
position) your tools skills will be a minor factor. It is the ability to
turn complex technical information into concise, logically organized and
USABLE documentation that will turn that contract into a full-time position.
It is these skills that the colleges need to emphasize in their programs:
Information gathering, organization, understanding the user, the ability to
write in the appropriate manner, time management skills, editing,
communications. Tools have to be taught, but only enough to be at a point
where they can create a regular document - and teach themselves (or take
evening courses) in advanced tools skills.
One more thing. I do not know of any courses that put enough emphasis on
learning computer technologies. Documenting software development (as opposed
to creating end-user documents) is an area with a lot of scope for technical
writers. My belief is that any good technical writing program should include
as much classroom time on topics such as IDE's, database design, systems
analysis and design, and computer networking as it does on teaching tools
such as Frame and RoboHelp.

My three cents (Canadian) worth

John Neil
Technical Writer