RE: Linux at work (real world)

Subject: RE: Linux at work (real world)
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:26:31 -0500

Hart, Geoff [mailto:Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA] said:

> I can't speak about Linux from personal experience, but I can say that
> everything I've read suggests there's a tough learning curve
> with Linux for
> those who don't already have Unix experience, and that you
> should carefully
> investigate the support community before committing to one
> version of Unix
> over another. Hacker friends who have played with Linux (both
> Red Hat and
> Suse) have loved it, but on the down side, they spend hours
> tweaking it
> trying to get it to work the way they want.
[snip]

Geoff,

No offense, but most of what you brought up are non-issues.

First, we've already got (some) Linux servers, and NO
BSD servers, nor much likelihood of getting any. Yes,
we have some Solaris machines, but those are all in
labs, or on developers desks (same with HP-UX, and
even an AIX box). The IT crew say that the only
reason pretty-well ALL of our servers are not Linux is
that we are running a lot of MS-specific server-based
stuff right now. Otherwise, they are more than happy
with the stability of Linux and quite willing to roll
it out onto our company desktops.

The issues are DESKTOP software for office use.
Linux has already proven itself more stable than
Windows, so that part's a non-issue on the desktop,
too. It's only application features, performance,
and usability that are up for consideration at this time.

As I explained, there's hardly even any lingering
doubt that one-or-another Linux suite (either StarOffice
or K-Office (maybe even ApplixWare)) would be fine for
the majority of our ordinary office stuff.

Learning curve is not that big a deal. Not anymore.
OS setup is done beforehand, and rolled out by IT.
You can tweak if you like, but if you break something,
then IT comes back and re-installs the working
configuration. That's for the underlying OS, and
maybe for the defaults in the chosen window manger
and desktop manager(s). Just like MS-Windows, you
can then tweak all kinds of settings for personal
preference, without breaking anything.

Unlike in Windows, those settings don't live in a
fragile and arcane Registry. Instead, they live
in a handful of text files, all of which can be
replaced by defaults or simply edited by a
knowledgeable IT wonk (or brave power user, but
that's not an issue either... non-power-users
are protected by standardized rollouts and packaged
installations/updates).

The questions that I'm considering (before I try to
exert further influence on the IT crew) are which
suite looks more usable for ordinary users, and
has the best vision for the future (both of the
main contenders support XML, so even this might
be a non-issue). Also, which suite seems to have
an edge for techwriting (if indeed any one does)?
As I said, if the scores are otherwise close, then
I'll shamelessly push for the one that seems best
for me. People who have used Linux in a live
techwriting environment might have some insights
that I'd miss, since I've only tinkered superficially
and have had zero opportunity to use Linux for
production at work (all I do with it at the office
is load/setup/run our product and document the process
and the peculiarities in Linux -- they're minimal, really).

The major question, for the adoption of Linux is:
Can we put together a system that lets us:

a) interact with each other's schedules (a la Outlook
Calendar or Lotus);

b) plan projects in groups of more-than-one
(a la MS Project)?

We don't need look-alikes, but we do need group productivity
applications that give us the general capabilities.

There are (it seems) hundreds of little free and shareware
apps for creating simple calendars and appointment books,
or even some rather elaborate and ornate ones. You can
also syncronize with your Palm, in many cases. But are
there any server-based systems that give the schedule-
tracking and meeting-booking capabilities of Outlook or
of Lotus? Is there an equivalent of Project that can
be accessed in controlled fashion by multiple users,
all puzzling over their individual corners of the big GANTT?

Finally, the point of the exercise would be to no longer
have to support or upgrade Windows, except for a couple
of systems for developers to develop, and for testers to
test.

The rest of us (sales, marketing, finance, logistics, etc.),
including the writer, would have Linux with KDE or
GNU desktop, and with a favored (IT-supported) application
suite, and with the yet-unnamed scheduling and planning-ware.
In that context, I'm looking for the insider's word on which
ones to suggest, so that I end up with the best arrangement
for me, and the rest of the company ends up with something
that does what they need.

I figured that with several thousand list-members, in a few
thousand companies, there'd be a few who had ventured down
the Linux DESKTOP road while holding hands with cow-orkers,
and had lived to tell about it.

I know there are a few loners using Linux for work, but while
their experience and comments are valuable, they don't have
to integrate with staff in a Linux environment. That's the
missing element. Still no takers?

/kevin