RE: Linux at work (real world)

Subject: RE: Linux at work (real world)
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:45:35 -0500

Here's an additional point or two:

When you buy a boxed copy of SuSE or Red Hat (or any
of the others, I assume) you get some initial support
included (mostly for installation/setup).
You can also buy a support package or pay
for individual support calls, ongoing (yes, you said that,
wait for it...).

HOWEVER, a big difference between that model and
Microsoft's, for example, is that you have bought
ONE boxed copy for $50 or $100, and you can distribute
that to everybody in your company for no further cost.
There are no seat licences for the OS, nor for most
of the... INCLUDED... fully-functional apps.

The next problem/glitch could come from ANY of your
500 users, but if you can't solve it yourself (in
your capacity as IT wonk), you pass it on to SuSE
or Red Hat Support. Support answers your request,
and doesn't inquire about which specific desktop
it came from. In effect, they demand ONE retainer/fee
from a single person shop or from a 500 person
company. They aren't snooping into your organization's
guts and trying to ferret out "piracy" and overlooked
revenue sources.

Then, there's the point that a sufficiently nasty
problem gets "escalated" very quickly to the
people who actually wrote the current version, and
they (and hundreds or thousands) of other eager
programmers leap on the bug and thrash it publicly.

Immediately after that, thousands of eager Linux
geeks leap on the resulting patch or interim kernel
release, load it, run it, and beat the crap out of
it in a very short time. In other words, the problem
gets fixed AND the fixed SW gets tested with minimal
delay, in a publicly accessible process. Nobody tries
to hide anything, nor does anybody try to put a
corporate spin on things ("that's not a bug, that's a
feature... we charge for features").

You also don't get arm-twisting to "upgrade" your
entire user-base at inconvenient times (budget-wise
or otherwise) and at exhorbitant cost.

The connection to TW is getting tenuous, except
for:

a) what it means to you if your company should
decide to go the Linux way and;

b) what you should look for, and how you should
try to influence the process and the choices,
in order to make your own job better, easier,
more efficient, whatever.

We seem to have answered that the tools are quite
sufficient for the job (tech writing, as well as
almost any other job in your company), so it's
finally looking like a viable option. Your job as
a TW becomes (other than continuing to produce fine
and useful documentation) one of ensuring that the
change includes the tools you need to do your work,
and that you don't *lose* any ground in the process.

Oh! Just thought of a (semi)final point. If you are
using Linux-based stuff at the office, you can outfit
yourself at home for next-to-nothing. (The last time
I did myself up with Windoze and Office, it cost me
well over $1000 in addition to hardware.)

And finally, while you and your office are among the
early adopters, you have almost no worries about
viruses. Only when the majority are using Linux and
certain apps, will we become attractive targets for
virus-mongers.

/kevin

Kevin McLauchlan
Chrysalis-ITS, Inc.