RE: Linux at work (real world) + and at HOME

Subject: RE: Linux at work (real world) + and at HOME
From: MMcCallister -at- ontrack -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:03:48 -0600

Ed Hawco wants to know: If I install Linux (such as RedHat) on my machine at
home, will it be able to work with my:

- Epson inkjet printer
- scanner
- digital camera
- ZIP drive
- CD R/RW
- DVD-ROM
- sound card
- Palm handheld

Odds are: Yes. My personal experience is that just about everything works right out of the box.

Additional observations: My SoundBlaster Live! card actually sounds better under Linux than Windows. My DVD-ROM works fine, though as is well known, one needs DeCSS to play DVD movies. FWIW, SuSE now installs from a single DVD (but still has the 6-7 CD-ROMs for those who need them). Zip drive works fine (there is a driver provided by Iomega). There are several Palm-Desktop-like wannabes that I haven't tried out.

The most tricky issue is likely to be the printer, and maybe the camera. I haven't gotten my Lexmark 1000 working under Linux yet, because the volunteer-created driver is a little flaky. Don't have a digital camera.

Anyway, since you mention Red Hat, here's the link to its Hardware Compatibility List:

hardware.redhat.com

It'll be good for just about any distribution you might lay your hands on.

Relax, the water's fine! 8-)