Re: Linux at work (real world) + and at HOME

Subject: Re: Linux at work (real world) + and at HOME
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:36:39 -0800

John Posada wrote:

1) Win98 (current config)
2) System Comander with dual OS; 98 and Linux
3) Linux
4) WinXP
5) System Comander with dual OS; XP and Linux

Questions:

1) If I go the System Commander route...do I install 98 (or XP)
first, then SysCommand or do I format, load SysCommand, then the two
OSs?

First of all, you may not need System Commander. Linux comes with perfectly adequate boot managers, such as GRUB and LILO. I mention this because you may want to simplify the equation a little.

However, in general, always load a Windows OS before anything else. Windows OSes don't play nice with other operating systems, and will overwrite any boot manager that resides in the master boot record. You can recover from these problems if you've remembered to create a boot floppy or recovery disk from Linux, but, if you haven't, you may have to start over again.

3) Does XP work in a dual-boot config?

Early reports suggest that it should work with GRUB and LILO. Windows 2000 will work with both, so there is probably a good chance that XP will.

4) Does anyone see anything in the above 5 choices that are
technicaly not possible?

You should be able to use Linux and XP on the same system. If you just want to play with Linux, 5 gigabytes or less should do you; on the whole, Linux programs are much smaller than Windows applications. In a pinch, you could install the OS in about 300 megabytes, but allow about 800 megabytes to 1.2 gigabytes for both KDE and GNOME desktops, different Window Managers, and other redundancies.

"But here's the latest phrase you hear as you walk down the street,
Oh, you can't be up-to-date if you don't call out when you meet,
'Are you working?' 'No, are you?'"
-British Music Hall Song, 1922

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr