RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:29:00 -0800 (PST)

> I'm curious. Is this because you don't find these things unethical?
> Or
> because you think that writing the guides doesn't contribute to or
> isn't
> relevant to the ethics of the company? Or some other reason? Again,
> just curious!

Take the server/network situation. I'd be writing about a technology
that is the same regardless of whether it is used to support a
network for adult oriented content or for mainsteam content. The
technology is not unethical, just the content (and I'm not sure
whether porno is unethical...more on that later). I'd be writing
about perfectly legit technology, not what someone may choose to do
with it. In fact, the technology used in that field is some of the
most cutting edge stuff going.

OTOH, I might not write Marcom for that industry as now we're talking
about something that specific toward that concept.

That is the case with any situation that is legal. The technology
that I'd be writing about is totaly legit.

Would I write about technology that is used to bypass law
enforcements ability to read a serial number on a firearm that is
ground off? No, because it's not a legal technology that happens to
be used in the minority for less than legal purposes...it is a
technology developed FOR ilegal purposes

As a separate issue, I don't know if I find, under CORRECT USAGE
GUIDELINES, porno, air-to-ground defense, or network surveilance
unethical, but I happen to be very lienent in those (and other)
areas. Is porno for those in the proper age range, surface-to-air
when used for defense, or network surveilance when used to find the
bad guys unethical?

Not to me. YMMV

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer