Re: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: Re: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:32:21 -0800 (PST)

--- Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:
> With so many people losing jobs and everyone else worried about keeping
> them, I'm curious: are there any types of tech-writing jobs that people
> wouldn't take?

It is not my intention to cast aspersions on anyone regarding this topic, but I
think the question lacks a context. What other jobs are available? How hungry
am I? How hungry is my family?

Then there is the question of whether the technology/product/service is the
problem or whether the problem is one of how it is used or misused? And who is
responsible for what?

And putting all that aside, who is it to sit in judgment of the choices I make?
Who among you is qualified to know what is right or wrong for someone else?
Some say such-and-such is exploitative; others say this area is, but that area
is not.

It just seems so easy to make these decisions from the ivory tower of one's
comfort. The view is nice and the rooms are comfortable. (-Would you become a
prostitute? Of course not. -If it was the only way to save your loved one's
life? [I'll leave you to answer on your own.])

For myself, put me in the situation--give me a context, not a
hypothetical--then we'll both find out what I'd do. Then you can condemn me my
choices or extol the virtues of your own.

But I would point out that guns and bombs and Global Positioning Satelites are
at this moment--among other things--defending your right to even have this
discussion. And if you want to limit the taking of innocent lives, then perhaps
you would want those things to work right, and perhaps you would want the
instructions for them to be written well.

I suppose there are some things even *I* would not do, but while we're
discussing it, let's talk about price, too. There's lots of people "who would
never do that" whatever that is, until you name a price that exceeds even their
dreams of avarice. Then, what was a matter of principle becomes an investment
decision.

Pardon me for ranting on so, but I accept full responsibility if I p*ssed
anybody off. That was my intent.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems
Columbus, Ohio
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 07/15/01

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1