Re: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: Re: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: "Brian Baresch" <baresch -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:40:06 -0600

>> With so many people losing jobs and everyone else worried about keeping
>> them, I'm curious: are there any types of tech-writing jobs that people
>> wouldn't take?

Hmm. Regarding types of jobs: I won't work for tobacco companies (unlike
most companies, they consciously sicken and kill their users) and will
think hard about defense contractors or gambling companies. Some individual
companies turn me off because of how they do business (predation,
union-busting, that sort of thing).

I do have another filter that I haven't seen mentioned: I'd have to be
desperate to take a job that requires a drug test for other than safety
reasons (e.g. operating heavy equipment). That aversion to unwarranted
intrusion has made me virtually unemployable except as a contractor, and
FTMP that's been OK. With the recent downturn in freelance work added to my
own ineptness at scrounging contract jobs, I'm debating how important that
principle is. With luck (and sweat) some jobs will come in and I won't have
to make that decision. But IMNSHO I shouldn't have to.

Brian Baresch, baresch -at- earthlink -dot- net
Lawrence, Kansas, USA
Editing, writing, proofreading