Re: Thanks a lot and some more

Subject: Re: Thanks a lot and some more
From: CHRISTINE ANAMEIER <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:09:36 -0500

> I get confused wrt the correct term to be used. For example,
> a java encoded GUI will have features like scroll down menus,
> radio buttons and whatnot.

I second the recommendation to check out the Microsoft Manual of
Style... lots of information there.

But if you're writing for end users, remember--if we tech writers have
to ask what a certain screen widget is called, you can bet the end
user doesn't know either. The MMOS recommends using more generic terms
when you write end-user docs--for instance, "Select Gronkle" or
"Select the Gronkle option" rather than "Select the Gronkle radio
button." There's no reason Joe End User needs to learn what a radio
button is on top of learning how to use the software. (And we all just
thrashed out this issue in the recent jargon thread, so I'm not trying
to start another debate on "what does the user need to know?")

Christine