RE: What help? (was RE: Help on Procedure Writing

Subject: RE: What help? (was RE: Help on Procedure Writing
From: "Thomas Eagles" <eaglescribe -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:33:57 -0500

Wow, that sounds like a big text popup. The last two places I've worked
used HTML/XML for their GUI, and thus traditional "What's This?" help
wasn't practicable. However, context-sensitive help describes what the
fields or buttons do on each page. If your developers are keeners, they
could put a little triangle or question mark beside each entity
(field/button/tab etc) to allow you to open an HTML popup that will only
describe what THAT entity does. Getting into all the possible field
values and whatnot should be done by linking from the popup to your
standard help files, IMHO.

Just passin' through...

Tom.

Tom Eagles Documentation & Instruction
111 Copley Street Pickering, Ontario L1V6V6 CANADA
Bus / Mobile: 905.626.8466 Home: 905.509.1838
thomas -at- tekwriter -dot- com http://www.tekwriter.com
Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.