"Index not available" under Unix only for indexed pdf collection

Subject: "Index not available" under Unix only for indexed pdf collection
From: Ted Rose <tedr -at- frontline-pcb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:20:09 +0200

I have an indexed collection of manuals in pdf format (approx. 50
manuals). The search and index works correctly in Windows NT, but
not in Unix. The index is not available under Unix.

I am using FrameMaker 5.5.2 and Acrobat Catalog 3.0, on Windows NT,
Service Pack 6. All the pdfs and the index were built under Windows NT.

I have an indexed collection of manuals in pdf format (approx. 50
manuals). The search and index works correctly in Windows NT, but
not in Unix. The problem seems to occur when the directories containing
the pdf files and index files are copied from one computer or network
drive to
another. They are moved together, so I do not understand why  the
relative path name changes (if it does). Copy the files to another
location,
and the "index not available" error message appears. I regenerate the
index in the directory where
the files reside, being sure to purge the subdirectory containing
the nine support files of the index before rebuilding. This is supposed
maintain the relative path names, but it does not, apparently. We plan
burn the directory onto a CD for distribution to customers.

 I am accessing the files through a
symbolic link  in UNIX. Would this cause any problems? But my boss
has a UNIX machine, can access the files directly, and has the same
problem.

This problem has never occurred before. I have issued the yearly doc
cycle twice, and never had a problem. I have a document of procedures
that I follow, and it has always worked until now.  Note
that all file names have been converted to lower case for use in Unix.

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks for listening.
--
Ted Rose