RE: Follow-up to Linux experimentation thread

Subject: RE: Follow-up to Linux experimentation thread
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:16:45 -0500

And, the most recent word from Adobe on the subject
is that the FM for Linux Beta died, and was dropped
for release consideration because there just isn't
a viable business case for it.

Linux is different enough from UNIX in several key ways
that it would require many programmer months and many
tester months to make a robust port of current (FM6,
and soon?? FM 7) FrameMaker to Linux. Then, there'd
be the question of which distribution(s) to support.

All in all, they'll wait until enough of us are already
over the divide and they sense a lucrative market. They
don't wish to lead the market and suffer any lean years
while the market catches up to their leadership.

At least, that was the word from Lee R. when I whined and
complained to him in private.

As much as I like FM, if I get comfortable with any
halfway-viable substitute for production tech-writing
under Linux, I'll switch. LaTeX, huh? Hmm. Must get toes wet.

/kevin